Monday, 10 March 2014

S14 E05 The perks of working in an IT company...or is it???

First of all I would like to clear something to some very particular people…and I think I speak on behalf of millions of bloggers around the world…big or small…a message to people who think blogging is done for time pass…read and consider…
“We write stuff coz we can…we are not jobless…we love to put our views out there…we write without expecting any kind of response or gratitude…we do have jobs and we work too…but still we take out time and sit down any type this stuff…coz we can…and you can’t ”
That being sorted out…let us proceed towards the titular question and(or) should I say rhetorical question…almost 50% of people I know are working in either InformationTech  MNCs or IT start-ups or national level functional IT companies… A bunch of brothers and sisters and a hoard of friends and someone really close to me too… all of them in some way or the other are a little of a big part of the Indian IT scenario…
The prospect of a good pay and a nice company name to work in dragged all of them into this vicious web shall we say of what my Brother-in-law calls it “enrolling yourself in the world of exploitation at office, insecurity and prey to the devils in the little office called the HR department”. This is true for a fact. The point I want to discuss thru this post is that is it really worth staying and working in an IT company with all its perks, yes? But which come along with whole lotta problems as well… I’ve chalked out a few points which I think are flustered when you work in an IT company…
1)      Health Well-Being…
Yeah I know they call it the 9to6 job…but is it really? I don’t think so… it’s more of a 12 or even 13 hour job to be precise…You get up in the morning and all you have on your mind is projects and stuff… you come home late and sometimes super late! Affects all routines… lunch time is not fixed nor is dinner… Usually the campuses are not in proper city limits so the travel time is a long stretch, unless of course you’re living in some crazy out of city townships as they call them near to your office. The body with such travel and no schedule of what so ever is affected even if you’re He-(wo)man… you just can’t force yourself to keep on doing this…You’ll fall sick…which usually happens and still you go to work taking that runny nose and that burning hot forehead with you… not good :/

2)      Relationships…
While you slog away the entire week (including weekends sometimes) in your air conditioned office there are people out there who need and care for you(family and friends)… You, for obvious reasons can’t give them time… and of course they understand because they don’t have any other option… After coming back home you are too tired to socialize or even chat up with your family…and weekends if you get an off, it’s for relaxation(read sleep…zzz… :p). However much you deny the social life is affected…yes you do attend office parties and office dinner and stuff but whom are you giving time to then? Think about it…

3)      Financial growth…
The whole purpose of working is of course money, right? Everyone knows this… but in India every year thousands of software and computer engineers are picked up by companies and trained and put in various cities to slog according to their convenience.  The point I wanna get thru is that unless you’re a brilliant slogger or a fantastic “coder” as we say in engineering language you can’t get to the major tiers of this humongous level hierarchy that these IT companies have… Therefore you can remain stagnant in your position and suffer low pays which these companies hardly shell out for low tier employees… but yeah money is involved…a lot of money…no doubt… But the drawback is that it’s India that you’re working in & for every 9$ an employee working in USA earns the Indian employee get 1$. How is that anywhere fair to be said the least? Besides when you start-up it’s not the pay on which you can run a household entirely given the rising cost and Inflation India is going thru…
These are just some of the problems which I feel can crop up if you’re involved in the corporate IT industry…there are a many points which are still lingering in my head which I wanna clear out but then this post will be too big for even me to spell check :p
There’ll be another post on this…after my friends come to me and eat my head up about this article… I’ll get their views and put down something more!!
This is not pointed towards anybody nor is this a vendetta against anyone…even I’m an IT engineer. But the difference is I’m not gonna work in no IT company. It’s too much for me…and besides I’m a gujju…business is in my blood…yeah it’s gonna be tough but then what in life isn’t??  So the path is pretty much clear…
Stay happy!!
Cheers!! Adios!!



No comments:

Post a Comment